Many parents are having trouble finding activities for the kids to do over summer break. It is a transition for the kids to go from a structured routine (during the school year) to waking up whenever and doing whatever. It's important to keep some type of regular schedule so that kids still have purpose to their days. It is also important that kids get lots of fresh air and enjoy the sunny days of summer.
Here is a list of my favorite activities to get the kids out of the house:
- YMCA – If there is a YMCA in your town, I highly suggest taking advantage of some of their activities. Summer Day Camp is a great place for kids to make new friends and participate in arts and crafts. This will also free up some time for you to get work done and run errands.
- Picnics – Having a picnic is a wonderful way for the family to get out of the house. You can set up a picnic in the backyard or go to your neighborhood park for a change of scenery.
- Grow a Garden – Gardening will keep the kids busy and burn off some extra energy. The kids will love seeing the fruits (and vegetables) of their labor! Herbs are also great.
- Go Fishing – Fishing is a great outdoor activity for kids. Adults will love it too!
- Daily Walk – Incorporate a daily walk into the kids' schedule. And try out different routes though the neighborhood. It'll add a little variety and you may even discover a new way home. It counts as exercise too!
The most important thing to remember is to include a learning adventure as well as lots of fun into your child's daily routine. Take charge and create a wonderful adventure that does not include sitting in front of the television or computer all day. This will in turn stimulate the mind and alleviate boredom.