What is a summer without going to a summer camp? Summer camps are great places for bonding, get-together, unwinding and getting to know people that you want to be friends with. This is why camping is an essential activity that families, schools and friends should always be looking for when summer days are about to come. There are no necessary expenses, no need to travel far and the nature will give everything you need and you go home relaxed with mind cleared off baggage.
However, for the first timers, there is always the lack of ideas on what to pack for summer camp. Especially for kids, who always depend from their parents for their necessary package, they are usually at lost what to bring for themselves once their teachers decide to spend their last days in school in a summer camp for kids. There are always a lot of camping activities that students and families can go to but it would be nice if you could find the best summer camp among the camps that are open in your area.
Qualities of a Good Summer Camp
If you want your kids or your families to enjoy their short vacation in a natural setting, look for the best summer camp in your area. If the place is too far from your home, check some camping sites that are near your home but can meet your requirements and can give you quality bonding and discovering time with your kids. Here are the features to look for when looking for an ideal camping site.
• Length of camping time the camp offers. There are camps that offer only half day camping only for children knowing what is camping all about and there are summer camps with programs that accept few days stay.
• Offered programs. Some camps run different programs that can enhance the skills and talents of your kids. There are also camps that have game activities for the families.
• Location of the camp. It would be better if you can find an ideal summer camp that is only few miles from your home. This is not to bore your kids with your travel time and feel safe being near your home. The location must also be accessible by vehicles or near the road.
• Safety status of the summer camp. You would not want to live in a camping site with lots of wild animals roaming the area or near a ravaging lake. Always think about your family's safety so check this feature first before signing in.
• Restrictions. Some camps are lax with what the campers can bring while some camps provide restrictions on food, beverages or even with sound gadgets because summer camps are usually located near wildlife reserves or national parks.
• Check the accreditation. An accredited summer camp is following a health and safety standards and this is an assurance that people who go in there will be safe. Check with the American Camping Association to know if your choice of camp is a registered one.
Consider that you have found the best summer camp let's see now what things you can pack for your summer camping with your kids.
Essential Things to Bring In a Summer Camp
1. Medicines. If you have kids with you, medicines or first aid kit are a necessity and do not go without any kinds of medication you can use for emergency cases. Especially if your camping site is known to be visited by bugs and mosquitoes, do not forget to bring anti-mosquito lotion or better bring along a mosquito net.
2. Proper clothes. You and your kids should bring along thin and comfortable clothes for summer tracking. However, you must also bring with you a few jackets because weather can abruptly change in camps. Calculate the days of your stay so that you will know the amount of clothes you will need. Do not forget the socks, pajamas and gloves.
3. Flashlights. Most camping sites have their own source of power so light is usually not a problem. However, you may need flashlights or camping lamps in case brownouts occasion. Or if you want to discover nature during the evening with the kids, flashlights are needed. Some campers prefer flashlights that are not rechargeable when camping and you may also do so. In this case you must bring along extra batteries for emergency cases.
4. Pocket knives. These should be handled by adult or teens. Knives can save lives and can be so much functional during crisis.
5. Essential food. Do not expect that there could be a store in your camping site so bringing your own food is a very sensible idea. You can also consider taking your own portable gas stove. Better, check with the camp management what you need to bring.
6. Tents. Some camps do have the cottages for lodging but not all camps have them and this you must check out. For kids, they can have their own small camps to make them enjoy camping in a real world.
In reality, what to pack for camping trip do not need to be too complicated or too expensive in a sense that you can only spend a day or two in a camp and do not need to bring in so much stuff. But as they say, summer camps have unpredictable and surprising ambiance that we can not actually fathom so taking along stuff that can provide our basic needs would be very significant. However, avoid overdoing it especially if the place has many amenities you can avail from.